Saturday 9 July 2011

Claire Taylor announces retirement

Claire Taylor announces retirement

England's World Cup winning captain Claire Taylor has announced her retirement from international cricket.
The 35-year-old represented England in 15 Tests, 126 ODIs and 27 Twenty20s and hit 4,101 ODI runs. She won two World Cups and the Ashes, was the first woman to be named as one of Wisden's five cricketers of the year and picked up the MBE in 2009.

The Berkshire batswoman also holds the record for the highest one-day international score at Lord's by a man or women, with 156 not out against India in 2006.

"It's the right time mentally and physically for me to step away from the international game," said Taylor.

"Fitting in all the training amid an ever busier working life is becoming unsustainable, there just doesn't seem to be enough hours in the week.

"Physically I seem to need to spend more and more time in the gym recovering from injuries rather than training to get fitter. I'm getting old I guess.

"There are so many people to thank who have helped me achieve my dreams. I remember sitting down after the 2000 Women's World Cup in New Zealand and talking about my ambition of becoming one of the best batters in the world. It has been a long process with plenty of ups and downs, culminating in outstanding personal and team success with England in 2009.

"The most important professional relationship of my career has been with Mark Lane, my coach of 14 years. Together we transformed my game so that I became the type of cricketer I always wanted to be.

"The squad I'm leaving has huge potential over the next couple of years and I wish them well for the future."

ECB Head of England Women's Cricket Clare Connor said: "Claire Taylor's career has yielded some remarkable and unprecedented achievements.

"Her tour de force was the 76 not out from 53 balls against Australia to secure England a place in the final of the ICC World Twenty20 in 2009.

"The power, precision and clinical nature of that innings delivered a message on the biggest stage as to the enormous progress made in the women's game - new fans and support were won and perceptions were changed.

"As such, Claire should be hugely proud of the part she has played in the journey of the women's game, and specifically England women's cricket, during the last 14 years."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

Visitors

free counters

  © Blogger template AutumnFall by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP