Tuesday 5 July 2011

Dickinson earns title shot

Boxing: Dickinson earns title shot
Jon-Lewis Dickinson is set to get a crack at the British cruiserweight title by the end of the year after winning the Northern Area crown by outpointing David Dolan.
Dickinson's accurate job earned him a 97-94 decision in the 10-round bout and the 25-year-old will now challenge current British belt holder Rob Norton.
"Rob Norton - I'm coming for you now," Dickinson told The Northern Echo. "That was the first step, but the next is to fight for the British title.
"I always said I had to get rid of David first, and I've done that now. I've come back from two defeats and a broken jaw, and I've proved what I'm about.
"I want to go on from here and, if I'm honest, I don't think Rob Norton will cause me any problems. Ten minutes or so before the fight, Frank (Warren) said to me, 'Win this, and I'll be straight on the phone to make the Norton fight'. I can't wait."
Defeat was a major blow to Dolan, who has never really lived up to the potential that saw him claim a Commonwealth Games gold medal in 2002 and he will now ponder his future.
"It's no use trying to kid anyone - this is a major setback," said Dolan. "I'm going to have some time off now and think about what's happening. I'll have to see if there are any more meaningful fights out there for me, but this is obviously a big blow."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

Visitors

free counters

  © Blogger template AutumnFall by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP