Thursday 7 July 2011

Els happy to be back in Scotland

Els happy to be back in Scotland
Ernie Els has reason to be disappointed about the Barclays Scottish Open moving to Castle Stuart near Inverness.
Els is the only player to have won twice at Loch Lomond, but the 2000 and 2003 champion said on his website: "It's just as special and spectacular in its own way and it really is a superb venue.
"To complete the hat-trick here this week would be a huge thrill."
So often the centre of attention at the event in the past, Els will tee off in Thursday's opening round as "only" the world number 24 and as "only" the seventh highest ranked player in the field.
The 41-year-old South African has missed the halfway cut on four of his last six starts, including last month's US Open, and has not had a top 10 finish all year.
He also had to pull out of last week's PGA Tour event because of a bad back and, just like Tiger Woods now it seems, said: "I've learnt not to take any chances with my fitness.
"I was feeling the effects of the slight back strain, so I took a couple of days' rest at home in Florida and then towards the end of the week we flew over to London to stay at our house at Wentworth.
"I wanted to get over here as early as was practically possible so I could be fit and ready for this week.
"One unexpected bonus of being on this side of the Atlantic last week was (wife) Liezl and I were lucky enough to get tickets for Wimbledon Centre Court on men's semi-finals day, one of the best sporting occasions of the year in my book.
"We sat with Gary Player and a host of other sporting stars and had a great time.
"As a sporting arena I'd say Centre Court is up with the very best of the best. The atmosphere is incredible and it really is something else to watch these top guys up close.
"In my teens I was pretty handy at tennis, but I must say seeing them play makes me very glad that I chose golf."
And nothing excites Els more than links golf.
"I love everything about it and, as is evident from my record of 12 top 10s in Open Championships, links golf often seems to bring out the best in me.
"It suits my eye and I think the fact that you have to use your imagination and be creative with your shot-making is good for my mindset."
Eighteen years ago Els became the first player in Open history to have four rounds in the 60s.
That was at Royal St George's in Kent - next week's venue - but the scoring that week was such that he came just sixth.
The 2002 champion will hope to be better than that next week. Five places better if he can.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

Visitors

free counters

  © Blogger template AutumnFall by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP