Tuesday 5 July 2011

Lawrie desperate to win Scottish Open

Lawrie desperate to win Scottish Open
Paul Lawrie rates winning the Scottish Open second only to becoming Open champion - and he has already done the second of those, of course.

But if he triumphs at Castle Stuart near Inverness on Sunday there will be no jumping or diving into the North Sea by the 42-year-old.
Not after what happened to Thomas Levet on Sunday.
The former Ryder Cup player's joy at capturing the French Open prompted him to follow the recent tradition of going into the lake by the final green at Le Golf National - and he fractured a shin.
It has made Levet, also 42, a serious doubt for next week's Open at Sandwich.
"It would be fair to say I would never do that," said Lawrie.
"But there you go - he's that kind of guy, isn't he?
"He's a good lad, quite hyper, and him and his manager probably thought it was a good idea. I bet he is regretting it now.
"I think I've always said that if I was allowed one more win it would be this tournament.
"Yes I would like another Open - who wouldn't? But if you were not going to get another Open the Scottish Open would be next. It would be huge for me."
The Aberdeen golfer, who lifted the Claret Jug at Carnoustie in 1999, ended nine years without a victory in Spain earlier this season on the very same day that compatriot Martin Laird won in the United States.
They are together these next two weeks with Laird, up to 25th in the world this season, back in Europe before flying back to get married in Colorado.
The Glaswegian, who has been based in the States since his college days, lists next year's Ryder Cup as one of his big goals.
But he is going to be giving Europe's stars a four-month start in the points race when it gets under way in September.
Because of how well he did last year Laird was asked to become a full member of the European Tour this season, but was not prepared to commit himself to the minimum 13 events and was told that falling short could lead to a two-year ban.
"With the wedding it was just not going to happen," he said.
"But I will be joining next year (as an affiliate member he will not be subject to the same rules) - I want to come back and play a few more events and hopefully be in a situation where I can play myself onto the team.
"If it's a situation where I just miss out at least I've made the point that I came back and want to make the team."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

Visitors

free counters

  © Blogger template AutumnFall by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP