Monday 4 July 2011

Thor Hushovd takes over Tour summit

Thor Hushovd takes over Tour summit
Thor Hushovd swapped the world champion's rainbow jersey for the Tour de France race leader's maillot jaune after his Garmin-Cervelo squad won the team time-trial.
The nine-man Garmin-Cervelo team clocked 24 minutes 48 seconds over the 23-kilometre course, with Team Sky, BMC Racing and Leopard Trek all four seconds behind.
Hushovd's team-mate David Millar is now second overall on the same time, while two-time runners-up Cadel Evans (BMC Racing) and Andy Schleck (Leopard Trek) are one and four seconds behind, respectively.
Defending champion Alberto Contador (Saxo Bank-SunGard), meanwhile, lost more time after a difficult first day and is now 1min 42secs behind ahead of Monday's 198km third stage from Olonne-sur-Mer to Redon, which is anticipated to end in a bunch sprint.
Hushovd revelled in the success - the American squad's first Tour victory - and stated his intention to hold onto the yellow jersey and help team-mate Tyler Farrar in the points classification race for the green jersey.
The Norwegian, who succeeded stage one winner Philippe Gilbert as the race leader, said: "The team's goal was to win this team time-trial and also get me in yellow and we've made it so from the team's perspective this Tour de France is already a success.
"I'd like to keep this jersey on my shoulders for as long as possible.
"I know it will be hard in stage four when we go up the Mur-de-Bretagne but I'll do my best and then help Tyler Farrar in the sprints and try to go for a stage win myself later on.
"Like I've said for a long time, the green is not a goal for me this year.
"If I get a stage win then I'll be really happy with my Tour de France."
Millar savoured Garmin-Cervelo's first Tour stage win, believing the success was extra special as it was shared.
The Scot said: "It's the stuff you dream of, so to achieve it is a wonderful feeling.
"It's a team experience. To sit there all of us and experience the same tensions as each other was a unique feeling.
"The energy was crazy and the emotions are so much stronger than winning an individual time-trial.
"I've won a fair few of those but this on a whole different level.
"It's so much better to share the emotions run so high."
Millar, riding in his 10th Tour, wore the yellow jersey early in his career and has three individual stage wins to his credit, but none since his confession for doping and subsequent ban.
The 34-year-old, who returned to the sport in 2006, is now a fervent anti-doping campaigner and has personal ambitions this month.
He added: "I'd like to win a stage. I'll enjoy today [Sunday] and see what happens tomorrow [Monday]."
Schleck finished 39 seconds behind Contador in the 2010 Tour and now holds an advantage of 1:38 on the Spaniard after two days of racing.
The Luxembourg rider said: "I'm satisfied with how the race went today [Sunday].
"We proved we are a solid team and that we have good chemistry.
"This is important when we are fighting to win the Tour."
Contador, too, was content, despite losing more time, with Saxo Bank-SunGard eighth, 28 seconds behind.
The 28-year-old, who is the subject of a Court of Arbitration for Sport hearing next month into his positive drugs test at last year's Tour, said: "The team gave everything we had and finished in a good time.
"My opponents are still ahead of me in the GC (general classification) and I might not even be the biggest favourite to win overall anymore.
"But there's a long way to Paris and we will do anything to gain time to get back."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

Visitors

free counters

  © Blogger template AutumnFall by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP