Saturday 6 August 2011

Boxing: Morales thinks he's crazy

Boxing: Morales thinks he's crazy
Erik Morales admitted he was 'crazy' to take on Argentine tough guy Lucas Matthysse - but is confident of victory next month.
Both fighters enter the ring on the back of defeats but with the newly-vacant WBC light-welterweight title on the line, a crack at IBF/WBA champion Amir Khan in December may await the victor.
Mexican legend Morales was originally slated to fight Jorge Barrios but now the dangerous Matthysse - likely the heaviest puncher he has faced - stands in his way.
Morales has stepped up two weight divisions following his three-year hiatus but after pushing Marcos Maidana all the way in April, the 34-year-old believes he belongs at 140lb.
"When we were first talking about this fight, we were talking about an opponent who wasn't easy, but not as difficult as Lucas Matthysse," he said.
"I have seen a lot of comments on Facebook ... people saying I am crazy, and I want to confirm that I am crazy. I am crazy about what I do.
"This is a sport that I participate in with a lot of love and a lot of heart. People question me, but I know that I love to fight and I want to fight. I will be ready September 17. The Mexicans can have a great party and celebrate when I am victorious.
"This is my second fight in the United States since I came back and I am going to win.
"I am very excited to be here and to be boxing again. I was away for two and a half years, but I had a lot of desire to do great things again.
"In April I had a tough fight against Marcos Maidana. A lot of reporters doubted me, but I made it very clear that I am back and can still accomplish great things.
"Everyone can see how I have advanced in the last year. Little by little I am back at the level at which I expected to be. I am very happy with where I am and where I need to be for this fight.
"I am going to do whatever I have to do to win. This fight is going to be for the fans and a lot of my fans will be traveling from Tijuana to Las Vegas.
"We're going to be ready on September 17. I'll fight for the Mexican people and be champion again."
The fight will take place on the undercard of Floyd Mayweather v Victor Ortiz and Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy Promotions believes Morales will become a four-weight champion.
"Erik Morales does not take and does not need to take any hand outs," he said. "When Barrios was not available and Lucas Matthysse became available, I think that it became evident that this was never about Morales getting a title handed to him. It was about earning his titles and if someone has earned his titles the hard way, it is Erik Morales.
"Erik Morales is truly the definition of a modern day gladiator.
"Morales' resume is second to none. He will become the first Mexican to win a world championship in four weight divisions and make history.
"When the fight is over on September 17, we will have a new world champion and it is going to be Erik 'El Terrible' Morales."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

Visitors

free counters

  © Blogger template AutumnFall by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP