Friday 29 July 2011

Boxing: Khan calls for equality

Boxing: Khan calls for equality
Amir Khan is determined to enter any showdown with Floyd Mayweather as an equal.
Trainer Freddie Roach believes Khan, who stopped Zab Judah inside five rounds on Sunday morning, will be ready to face modern great Mayweather after just one more fight
But the 24-year-old wants to continue establishing his name with two more contests so that when they do meet, he will share top billing.
"We don't want to rush into big fights. I'd fight anyone, I'd even fight Mayweather next," he said.
"But when I fight him I want to be a big name. I don't just want to fight him as another opponent, I want to be on the same level as him.
"So when I do fight him it will be like when Manny Pacquiao and Mayweather fight - both of them as champions, not opponents.
"That's the league I want to be in against Mayweather, but I need a couple more fights to get there."
Khan would take a major step towards seeing his wish granted were he to defeat Timothy Bradley and become undisputed light-welterweight champion.
The Olympic silver medalist has added Judah's IBF belt to his WBA title, but WBC and WBO supremo Bradley is viewed as the division's top fighter.
The American verbally agreed to face Khan only to pull out, and Judah stepped up instead.
Erik Morales and Robert Guerrero have been mooted as possible opponents, but Bradley is by far the most meaningful match left before the proposed step up to welterweight.
"Bradley is a possibility because he's got no opponent," said Khan.
"Now Manny's fighting Juan Manuel Marquez and Mayweather's fighting Victor Ortiz, who is left for him? No one.
"If he doesn't take this fight against me, he'll probably have been out of the fight game for over a year. He's in his prime now and needs to stay busy and active.
"He has two titles and the WBC and WBO might strip him because he's not doing anything.
"It's the only fight that's left for me in this division.
"I should be moved to the top of the light-welterweight rankings. I'm surprised I'm not above Bradley already.
"I'll fight anyone and tried to make this fight against Bradley, but he just didn't want it. He won't sign on the dotted line."
Khan's reputation in the United States continued to grow with his defeat of Judah, but he is not satisfied yet.
"My name is getting is bigger. Whether it's for a belt or not, people in America want to watch me box because they know I have an exciting style," he said.
"I have loyal fans in the UK who support me and also love my style, but we need to build the brand more in America."
Khan ended Judah's spell as a top-class operator with a right uppercut to the body that the Las Vegas resident claimed - with little conviction - was low.
"Maybe once or twice I tried too hard to get him out of there. He was very awkward," said Khan.
"He was looking to finish me with one big shot but when he saw that I took one or two, it took his confidence away.
"I could see in the fourth round that he didn't want anything, he'd kind of given up. He was frustrated, his heart went and he wanted out."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

Visitors

free counters

  © Blogger template AutumnFall by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP