Friday 15 July 2011

Boxing: Marquez set for Cancun warm-up

Boxing: Marquez set for Cancun warm-up

Mexican legend Juan Manuel Marquez will warm-up for his third showdown with Manny Pacquaio with a 10-rounder against Colombian Likar Ramos in Cancun on Saturday.
Marquez, 37, will return to the ring for the first time since stopping Australian warrior Michael Katsidis to retain his WBA and WBO lightweight titles last November.
The 37-year-old will step up in weight to face southpaw Ramos, 24-3-1, as he prepares for his clash with pound-for-pound king Pacquaio at a catchweight of 144lb on 12 November.
"I felt I needed to do a fight at 140 pounds first," Marquez told ESPN. "I wanted to be smart about things before the fight with Pacquiao. I want to see how my body feels at 140 and then 144. One step at a time.
"Every fighter needs to be active and busy. I just felt I needed a fight. I know there are risks involved. But I knew I needed to take this fight to be OK for November.
"It is important for me that he is a left-hander, like Pacquiao, and this fight will give me the work I need to be ready for November."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

Visitors

free counters

  © Blogger template AutumnFall by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP