Friday 15 July 2011

South Korea's Noh fulfils Open promise

South Korea's Noh fulfils Open promise

Noh Seung-yul made up for the heartbreak of last year by battling to a two-over-par 72 to book his place in the weekend rounds of the British Open on Friday.
When Noh made an early exit from the world's oldest Major last year, he made a vow that he would make a quick return with an improved performance. One year later, he has made his comeback with a battling performance that befitted his status as Asia's rising star.
"I was disappointed to have missed the cut last year and I told myself back then that I'll return as a better player and make the cut. I'm glad I did that today [Friday]," said Noh.
Noh bogeyed holes one and four but rallied back with a birdie on the par-four fifth. He bogeyed the eighth hole to turn in 37.
With gusty winds beginning to blow many off course at Royal St. George's, Noh then marked his inward-nine with two birdies against two bogeys.
"The conditions were tougher than yesterday [Thursday]. The wind directions were always changing and I could do better with my tee shots," said Noh.
"This course is one of the toughest I've played in but now that I've made the cut, I'm going to do my best," added Noh.
Meanwhile compatriot K.J Choi believes that the strong mental edge that most Koreans possess has ensured his place in the weekend rounds as well.
Choi, who opened his campaign with a 71, carded a 72 to make the halfway cut which was set at three-over.
However, it was not without much tension as his hopes of playing were hanging in a balance after three bogeys in his outward-nine left him at four-over.
The Asian Tour honorary member knew that it would take something special to turn his game around and switched to his self-belief.
"Koreans are very strong mentally and I've always believed that I can do it despite the odds," said Choi.
Choi, whose best effort at the British Open is a tied-eight finish in 2007, then birdied the par-four 10th immediately after the turn but dropped another shot on the 11th hole. However, he managed to get that shot back with a birdie on the 16th hole.
"My play, especially my swing has been good so far. However, the prob

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

Visitors

free counters

  © Blogger template AutumnFall by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP