Friday 8 July 2011

Clichy: I rejected Liverpool and Roma

Clichy: I rejected Liverpool and Roma

Gael Clichy has admitted he rejected the interests of Liverpool and Roma for a move to Manchester City.
The Frenchman became the first summer signing for City after completing his £7million move to Eastlands from Arsenal last week.
Priot to his move to Eastlands, Liverpool were believed to have been close to securing the services of the 25-year-old.
But City managed to hijack the move and convince Clichy to join the ranks of Roberto Mancini.
The left-back revealed talks with Liverpool were at an advanced stage but was swayed by the chance to play Champions League football with City.
"With Liverpool, contacts were very serious. I had Damien Comolli, the sports director, on the phone, I have known him for a long time," he told L'Equipe.
"There was also interest from Roma, with a great project and an interesting offer, but I wanted to stay in the Premier League.
"I like the football here and the mentality. And City offered me the possibility to play in the Champions League.
"I would have earned the same amount at Liverpool. I am a defender, I am not scoring 30 goals per season. Defenders' wages don't evolve so much, although there are some exceptions with [Rio] Ferdinand and [John] Terry.
"I get that people think that money was a decisive element. It is not the case. Manchester City are a big club with a big squad. It is an ambitious club which wants to shine in each competition."
Clichy was part of the 'Invincibles' side that went a whole season unbeaten under Arsene Wenger, but have won nothing since they triumphed in the 2005 FA Cup final.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

Visitors

free counters

  © Blogger template AutumnFall by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP