Thursday 7 July 2011

Johnson aims to please all

Boxing: Johnson aims to please all

Hot-prospect Callum Johnson has vowed to bridge the north-south divide as a professional.
The 2010 Commonwealth Games gold medallist has his first pro fight in England on July 16 at the Liverpool Echo Arena.
He's already won two out of two in Scotland after boxing for the Celtic nation at last year's Delhi games.
Johnson has family ties to Scotland but grew up in Boston, Lincolnshire.
Now he trains out of Manchester under Joe Gallagher and is hoping to win the backing of both countries.
"The sporting rivalry between England and Scotland is pretty intense," said Johnson, who is managed by Naseem Hamed and promoted by Frank Warren.
"Sports fans in the two countries don't agree on much, especially football, but I'm hoping they will get behind me.
"I've had a fantastic response the two times that I have fought in Scotland.
"And I hope I'll get a big cheer in Liverpool as well.
"I'd love to divide my time between the two countries when it comes to boxing.
"I don't think there have been many champions in the past who will have been backed by both England and Scotland - all I need now is a Welshman to fight."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

Visitors

free counters

  © Blogger template AutumnFall by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP