Thursday 7 July 2011

Murray relishing Davis Cup return

Murray relishing Davis Cup return

Andy Murray wants to become more involved in the Davis Cup as he revelled in the atmosphere surrounding Great Britain ahead of their encounter with Luxembourg.
Murray will make his first appearance in the competition since September 2009 when he takes on Laurent Bram at Braehead Arena in Glasgow on Friday night.
The world number four pulled out of John Lloyd's last match in charge, a defeat by Lithuania, citing his need to prepare properly for the 2010 season and his quest to win a grand slam, and also his desire to give his less experienced team-mates more action.
But Murray has kept in touch with Leon Smith since his former mentor took over and will make his first appearance under the current captain in his third match in charge.
The Scot declared himself re-energised by the prospect of playing in front of a home support and alongside his brother, Jamie, in the doubles match on Saturday.
And his return to a team ethic has further rejuvenated Murray as he bids to bounce back from the depressingly familiar feeling of defeat against Rafael Nadal at Wimbledon.
The 24-year-old, flanked by his team-mates and captain after Thursday's draw for the Europe/Africa Zone Group II contest, said: "I have enjoyed the last few days, it's nice being around all the guys, good fun. That's the best part about Davis Cup.
"Whether it's the best thing for me or not (after Wimbledon), I have no idea, but I have had a good week so far.
"I have always enjoyed playing Davis Cup. It's just different, it's a different atmosphere, a different experience and just a different build-up.
"I like that, it's refreshing. You spend the whole year on your own and now you have guys around you.
"I like playing for my country, always have done, and I've played well."
When asked about his future intentions, Murray said: "I think I'll play more, for sure.
"I enjoyed it when I played Davis Cup in the past. A few things happened in the past that I didn't enjoy towards the last few ties.
"Now I'm looking forward to it again.
"This week has helped, I've enjoyed being around everyone. I think it's a great competition, players really, really enjoy it.
"I'm sure I'll play more than I have done in the last few years."
Murray appeared to grow tired of being the subject of questions to his team-mates, but it was evident his presence had lifted the camp as Britain strive to set up a promotion play-off against Belarus or Hungary in September.
James Ward, who opens the contest against Luxembourg number one Gilles Muller, ranked 81 in the world, said: "Obviously having Andy around is great and the main goal for us all is getting back to the top group.
"This week has just been a great practice week. To spend time with Andy on court and off court, to see how he prepares and how professional he is, is a great example to someone like myself."
Smith was keen to highlight what he believes is an improving strength in depth in the team, but he was also keen to acknowledge the benefits of having his number one player available.
The Scot, who has guided Britain to victories over Turkey and Tunisia, said: "We do make a lot of Andy being in the team but it is a big deal and he brings so much - the way he works and the way he looks after his body just helps everyone see what one of the best players in the world is doing.
"But we have other team members who are doing really well.
"It's time for all the guys to keep pushing themselves hard every day, to improve their rankings and that in turn will mean we have a stronger Davis Cup team."
The Wimbledon semi-finalist is joined in making a return to Davis Cup action by his elder brother, who has forced his way back in.
"It's great to be back in the team," Jamie Murray said. "I guess I missed a year and a half of ties.
"That was my fault more than anything else because my form wasn't as good as maybe it could have been.
"I'm really looking forward to the tie this weekend back in Scotland.
"I missed both the ties previously here so it's going to be a great experience and the chance to play with Andy in Davis Cup is not something we have done before.
"So I'm looking forward to it. Almost as much as he is."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

Visitors

free counters

  © Blogger template AutumnFall by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP