Monday 11 July 2011

Tearful Andy Murray set for a rest

Tearful Andy Murray set for a rest

Andy Murray will rest for the next week in a bid to avoid burn-out at the US Open.
Following a hectic period, Murray will not compete again until he begins his attempt to claim a third consecutive Rogers Cup title in Montreal, a tournament which begins on August 8.
After the grasscourt season at Queen's and Wimbledon, Murray ended his busy run by helping Great Britain beat Luxembourg 4-1 in the Davis Cup at the weekend.
The world number four won all three rubbers he played in Glasgow to earn GB a shot at promotion to Europe-Africa Zone I - the second tier of the competition.
Leon Smith's side will now entertain Hungary in September, the week after the US Open ends.
Murray broke down in tears after clinching success at Braehead Arena with his third straight-sets win of the tie on Sunday, an impressive 6-4 6-3 6-1 triumph over world number 81 Gilles Muller.
He became emotional when talking about playing in front of a Scottish crowd, which included many friends and family members.
The 24-year-old will now recharge his batteries to make sure he is physically fresh for his next attempt at that elusive Grand Slam triumph, which begins on August 29.
"I'm going to go over to the States a week on Monday or Tuesday and I'll be there until the US Open," said Murray, who dropped just nine points on his serve in his two singles matches.
"I'll take a few days off now, I don't know if I'll go away somewhere or stay in London. My fitness trainer is getting married on Saturday so I'm going to that.
"I would like to stay (in Scotland) but I have things to do, as always, it never stops."
Murray will do the bare minimum fitness wise until travelling to the United States and has ruled out appearing at the Farmers Classic in Los Angeles later this month.
Murray said: "I don't feel good when I do nothing and then train full-out, my body feels stiff, so I'll do some yoga or pilates to keep a bit in shape, but nothing stressful over the next 10 days.
"I'll probably have a game of football at some point, then when I go over there I'll start training but I'll build up, I'm not going to go full out straight away.
"I'll get ready for Montreal. I messed up last year by playing in LA because my body was struggling by the time I got to the US Open."
The British number one again stressed his eagerness to play against Hungary but will only do so if he is 100 per cent fit following the US Open.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

Visitors

free counters

  © Blogger template AutumnFall by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP