Sunday 7 August 2011

Athletics: Greene eyes relay success

Athletics: Greene eyes relay success
Dai Greene is confident he's done enough to be part of Great Britain's 4x400metre quartet as he strives to win as many major medals as possible throughout his career.
The European and Commonwealth 400m hurdles gold medallist will be among the favourites for glory at the World Championships in Daegu later this month and next year's London Olympics.
But while Greene is firmly focused on individual honours, the Swansea Harrier is also proving to be one of Britain's fastest around one lap and managed to finish a highly creditable third in the 400m at the UK Trials and Championships in Birmingham last weekend.
The 25-year-old said: "I need to learn to run on the flat without hurdles, it's totally different. You get a bit lazy in your body position and you've got to work out when to kick, when to slow down and things like that.
"I want to be in the relay so obviously I've got to keep running faster times and that will come with practice.
"I'd like to think I should be selected off my hurdles times alone and to finish third here suggests I'm arguably one of the top four 400m runners in the country too.
"I can't do much else than put myself in the mix with these guys and take them on head-to-head.
"I have concentrated solely on the hurdles and not really prepared for the 400m, so I just wanted to see what I could do really.
"You only have a short lifespan as an athlete so I want to win as many medals as I can, and being part of the relay team can help me do that.
"It does double my chances as these guys are really good when on form. I'd like to think I'm one of the best in the world over hurdles so there's no reason why I shouldn't be involved in the quartet and I hope my performances have shown I can compete with the others head-to-head."
British champion over 400m Martyn Rooney would be delighted to see Greene in the final four in Daegu.
The Croydon athlete said: "I've been pushing for Dai to be in the relay team for a long time. Anyone who can run that quick over the hurdles is going to be a very important asset to our team and now he's just proved that."
Greene has enjoyed a superb season in his individual event having won two Diamond League meetings including a triumph over former world champion Bershawn Jackson in Birmingham, so it's no surprise he only has eyes on gold in Daegu.
The Welshman said: "At this point in the season everything has been going really well so it would be pointless going for anything other than gold.
"I'm not saying I wouldn't be happy with something else but at the moment I'm going for gold. There's just four weeks left so I shouldn't set my target any lower.
"I don't feel any pressure really because I still remember when I wasn't winning races or doing very well. I worked really hard to get where I am so I'm not going to shy away from anything.
"Obviously I've had a fantastic year so regardless of what happens in Daegu I should still be very happy with the season. I've prepared 100% for the worlds so I want a very good result there to make it all worthwhile and that will give me a lot of confidence going into the Olympics."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

Visitors

free counters

  © Blogger template AutumnFall by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP