Sunday 7 August 2011

Athletics: Jenkins seals Olympic spot

Athletics: Jenkins seals Olympic spot
Britain's Helen Jenkins secured a spot at London 2012 after taking a superb victory in the World Championship Series triathlon around the Olympic course in Hyde Park.
The 27-year-old had not previously triumphed in a WCS race but coasted away from her rivals during the run to claim her biggest win since the World Championships in 2008.
There was not much separation between the favourites after the Serpentine swim as Jenkins emerged from the water well-placed with British team-mates Kerry Lang, Jodie Stimpson and Vicky Holland.
The seven bike laps, which saw the athletes head out of Hyde Park to Buckingham Palace, were also cagey and it was not until the 10-kilometres run that the field broke up.
Knowing that a podium place would secure her spot on the Olympic team, Jenkins instantly went to the front and piled on the pressure.
The Swansea athlete had pulled clear by the second lap and then continued to increase her advantage and sealed an emphatic victory.
"It's a massive relief. I knew that I'd had the form but you have to deliver it on the day and I wasn't sure whether I could today [Saturday]," Jenkins said of her Olympic qualification.
"It gives me a good year to focus on the Olympics and it's great to know your training's worked. It gives you confidence that hopefully you can replicate that in the future."
Jenkins said that she had been struggling with a cold in the week leading up to the race but felt strong at the start of the run and never looked back.
She added: "It was really tough. I had an all right swim, the bike was quite easy but I was not feeling brilliant, my legs were aching. I've had a bit of a cold leading up to the race so I haven't done my usual training.
"On the run, I ended up at the front out of transition so I just kept running and running. Everyone was shouting, 'you've got a gap, you've got a gap', so I kept pushing on.
"On the last lap I heard 20 seconds but I knew I had to keep going because if I blew up they'd catch me. It wasn't until I got onto the blue carpet (finishing straight) that I relaxed a bit. I'm so happy. It's unbelievable."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

Visitors

free counters

  © Blogger template AutumnFall by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP