Monday 9 July 2012

Federer never gave up hope of title win


Pool / Getty Images Europe
Tennis News: Roger Federer Switzerland


Roger Federer never stopped believing that he would be a Grand Slam winner again as he returns to the top of the world rankings.
The Swiss great ended the hopes of Britain's Andy Murray in an enthralling Wimbledon final under the Centre Court roof, winning 4-6 7-5 6-3 6-4 to join his idol Pete Sampras with seven titles at the All England Club.
It was his 17th Grand Slam title overall, moving him three clear of Sampras, and on Monday he will officially take over from Novak Djokovic as world number one for the first time having last been at the top heading into the French Open in May 2010.
It will be Federer's 286th week on top of the rankings, matching Sampras' record, and he is guaranteed to surpass that mark a week on Monday.
Federer will turn 31 next month and, in the two-and-a-half years since his last slam title, when Murray was also the victim at the Australian Open, many critics have questioned whether he would ever hit such heights again.
Not the man himself, though.
Looking at his barren Grand Slam run, he said: "I see it more as a stepping stone, a period I had to go through as well. To win 90% of my matches throughout the year is impossible every single year. So you're always going to go through ups and downs.
"But I knew how close I was for the last few years, and some people didn't quite see that maybe for different reasons. But I knew and I think the belief got me to victory today [Sunday]."
Federer has endured some tough losses since his Melbourne victory in 2010, being defeated by Djokovic from match point up in consecutive US Open semi-finals and losing to Tomas Berdych and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga at the last two Wimbledons.
He revealed those defeats played a part in his approach on Sunday, saying: "This one hasn't quite sunk in yet for some reason.
"I guess I was trying to be so focused in the moment itself that when it all happened I was just so happy that it was all over and that the pressure was gone.
"I guess that came due to the tough loss I had against Tsonga here last year, and the US Open as well. I really almost didn't try to picture myself with the trophy or try to think too far ahead.
"There was so much on the line, so I didn't try to think of the world number one ranking or the seventh Wimbledon or the 17th title.
"I think, for a change, it's going to take much longer to understand what I was able to achieve today. It was crazy how it all happened under the circumstances. I played terrific."
Sunday's victory was also a special moment for Federer because his twin girls Myla Rose and Charlene Riva, who are almost three, watched him collect the trophy for the first time.
He said of fatherhood: "I think it's helped my game more than anything because I think I'm playing some of the best tennis of my life right now.
"The victory today is a dream come true for me and my family, seeing them there. It's big."
While Federer was able to celebrate a momentous day, for Murray there was more grand slam despair as he suffered his fourth final defeat and first in front of his home fans.
The Scot gave a highly emotional on-court interview, breaking down several times before sharing a hug with his conqueror.
Federer said: "It's hard. I've been there as well. I think he's done so, so well. Because I see him every day. I see what he goes through on a daily basis on tour.
"At Wimbledon I think he handles it so perfectly. I think he's giving himself so many looks at big titles. I really do believe deep down in me he will win grand slams, not just one.
"I do wish him all the best. This is genuine. He works extremely hard. He's as professional as you can be.
"Things just didn't quite turn out for him in the finals the way he hoped for. But today I'm sure he got another step closer to a grand slam title. I really do believe and hope for him that he's going to win one soon."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

Visitors

free counters

  © Blogger template AutumnFall by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP