Tuesday 12 July 2011

Wlad: Haye doesn't want rematch

Wlad: Haye doesn't want rematch

Wladimir Klitschko believes David Haye has no desire to face him again after the British fighter's heavy points defeat in Hamburg.
Former WBA heavyweight champion Haye has stated his intentions for another shot at the Ukrainian since falling well short against him on July 2.
But Klitschko thinks that Haye's claims now are in stark contrast to what he said when asked the rematch question straight after the bout.
"I don't really believe he wants to have a rematch. Because after the fight boxers usually scream, 'give me the rematch, give me the rematch'," Klitschko told Sky Sports News.
"At the press conference David Haye didn't say a word. The journalists asked me, 'Do you want to give David Haye a rematch?'
"So I passed the question to David Haye and David was like, 'ah, well, maybe, sure, why not?' I don't really see the desire from David Haye for getting this rematch."
Haye was not short of confidence in the build-up to the showdown but was unable to back up his words come fight night as the taller man controlled the contest behind a solid jab.
Klitschko believes the 30-year-old is now coming back down to earth, although he is not ready to forgive him for his pre-fight antics which included wearing a T-shirt depicting the severed heads of Wladimir and brother Vitali.
"I don't want to hit the man when he's on the ground but I do think reality is coming back to David Haye," Klitschko said.
"I believe he lost the ground under his feet when he when he became champion for the first time in the cruiserweight division and then he became champion in the heavyweight division."
He added: "He got a big head, he got too confident and he just got brainwashed in the wrong way.
"The things with the T-shirts with the heads of the brothers and everything before (the fight), I don't give praise for that.
"Actually it was disgraceful and was definitely below the belt. But I have to give credit (to him) as a boxer, because he was in amazing shape and was super-fast."
The WBA, IBF and WBO title holder also derided Haye for being reluctant to go for the knockout when behind on the scorecards late in the fight.
Klitshcko said: "In the final rounds I was expecting more pressure.
"If you're losing the entire fight and you know it - the corner man told him before the 12th round, 'Man you're behind on points, you have to get out there and swing and hope to knock the guy out'.
"I was expecting what I would have done: you've just got to try, just throw whatever you can to knock the guy out. I didn't see that, he was very conservative and he didn't take the opportunity."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

Visitors

free counters

  © Blogger template AutumnFall by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP