Saturday 6 August 2011

Athletics: Powell out of Aviva GP

Athletics: Powell out of Aviva GP
Jamaican Asafa Powell has pulled out of this weekend's Diamond League meeting in London with a groin injury.
Powell, the fastest man in the world this year, was due to run in the 100m at the Aviva London Grand Prix at Crystal Palace on Friday night.
But with the World Championships less than a month away, Powell is taking no chances with the niggling injury.
"I've had some tightness in my groin since [competing in] Budapest [last week], I had hoped that it would have cleared by now but it's still there," Powell said.
"I've been seeking treatment but had to make the decision today to withdraw.
"I am focusing on Daegu and as much as I'd like to run tonight, I just can't take the risk with the major championships three weeks away."
"It's a tough decision as I always love to run in London, the fans here are incredible and I want to thank them for their support," added the former world record holder.
The 28-year-old clocked 9.78 seconds in Lausanne in June and remains a threat to world record holder Usain Bolt in Daegu, South Korea.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

Visitors

free counters

  © Blogger template AutumnFall by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP